If you're looking for great broadband and phone services, please visit our sister company, uno at www.uno.net.uk.
Support 0333 773 3000 • Sales 0800 905 5000
This policy is subject to change, so please check regularly for updates.
This policy is in addition to our Terms of Service.
XILO reserves the right to suspend or cancel a customer’s access to any or all services provided by XILO, where XILO decides that the account has been inappropriately used. XILO reserves the right to refuse service and/or access to its servers to anyone.
Scripts on the server must be designed to produce web-based content, and not to use the server as an application server. Using the server to generate large volumes of email from a database is an example of activity that is not allowed. Scripts should not attempt to manipulate the timeouts on servers. These are set at the present values to ensure the reliability of the server. Sites that reset these do so because they are resource intensive, and adversely affect server performance and are therefore not allowed. Scripts that are designed to provide proxy services, anonymous or otherwise, are not allowed.
XILO will disable any domain that fails to adhere to the following criteria as soon as we are made aware, in line with current working practices:
1) The primary purpose of any script must be to produce a web page. Scripts that send a single email based upon user entered information, or update a database are acceptable. Scripts that send bulk email or perform processor intensive database processes are not allowed. All outgoing mail is constantly monitored.
2) Sites must not contain Warez, copyright or other illegal material. It is the customers responsbility to prove that you own the rights to publish material, not for XILO to prove that you do not.
3) Sites must not contain ‘hard core’ pornographic or other illegal material.
4) Sites must not use excessive amounts of server resources. These include bandwidth, processor utilisation, memory and / or disk space. Please see the ‘High Resource Usage Policy’ in the Terms and Service.
5) Sites must not contain scripts that attempt to access privileged server resources, or other sites on the same server.
If XILO identify a mailbox or domain that is causing problems; we will either remove the offending mailboxes or change their settings to resolve the issue. In extreme cases, we will disable email or suspend all services to the domain as appropriate.
Common issues that cause problems are:
1) Where a mailbox receives large volumes of undeliverable email.
2) Where mailboxes have forwarders set to other mailboxes where mail cannot be delivered.
3) Where mailboxes have forwarders and/or auto-responders that generate circular mail loops.
You may not use XILO email services for any of the following:
1) To send messages or communications, which are unsolicited, offensive, abusive, indecent or obscene.
2) To send messages causing annoyance, inconvenience or anxiety to another user of the Internet.
3) To send messages for the purpose of fraud and / or with the intention of committing a criminal offence.
To prevent the sending of bulk unsolicited mail, SMTP traffic to and from a server will be blocked in the following scenarios:
1) Where we identify a server that has an open mail relay.
2) Where a significant volume of mail is sent from a domain in a defined time scale.
3) Where we have received significant volumes of complaints concerning unsolicited mail originating from a XILO hosted domain.
5) To prevent XILO IP Addresses being blacklisted, service may be suspended where we have received significant volumes of complaints concerning unsolicited mail originating from or unsolicited email being sent to promote sites being hosted.
All virtual server, dedicated server and colocation customers are responsible for the activities and security of their server. Servers will be disconnected from the network in the following scenarios:
1) Any server that attempts network scans or other possible hacking activities.
2) XILO believe a server has been compromised.
Resources are defined as bandwidth, processor utilization and memory usage.
When the resources utilised by a customer in using a service are abnormally high, XILO reserves the right to suspend that service immediately. This policy is only implemented in extreme circumstances and is intended to prevent the misuse of our services and allow us to continue to serve other customers. We will make suggestions on how to curb resource usage. If high resource usage continues, we reserve the right to suspend and/or terminate service.
We may restrict certain functions of scripting languages for stability and security of our shared servers.
We maintain secure services and there are certain scripts that are prohibited on our service. This also extends to Virtual Servers, Dedicated Servers and Colocated hardware. We reserve the right to remove prohibited scripts and software on shared servers without notice. Our current list of prohibited scripts is below.
Proxy Scripts (nph-proxy and others)
IRC Scripts (cgi::irc and others)
Email provisioning Scripts (HiveMail and others)
Shell Scripts (phpShell and others)
‘tpg’ showcase scripts
XILO will suspend access to an account which:
1) Contains invalid or fraudulent details.
2) Initiates a payment card charge back.
If XILO disable a site or server, we will:
1) Send an automated mail to the account administrator, informing them of the suspension - please ensure you use an email address that will be unaffected by any suspensions, to ensure that you are immediately made aware of any changes in your account status.
2) Provide follow up correspondence during office hours from our Abuse and Security department, detailing the reasons for the suspension and what actions, if any, the administrator should take to rectify the situation.
3) Work with you to suggest a resolution to the issue at hand and arrange for the restoration of services in the shortest time scale possible once an agreement has been reached.
4) Not re-enable any domain or server that has a history of similar misuse.
5) Pass the account to the appropriate department to resolve any outstanding issues such as account balance or closure.
For less serious cases, such as email problems, the Abuse and Security department will contact you to inform you of any changes made to your account and the reasons for those changes.
If an action is taken against a site or server, you should communicate directly with the Abuse and Security department within office hours. Outside of office hours our Support department will be able to discuss the matter and assist in the resolution of the majority of investigations.
Restoration of any and all services suspended during an Abuse and Security department investigation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.